The Wilderness at Colours 2026
(Two items in this blog post: The Wilderness at the Colours show, then the Balkan Wars battle of Driskos at OWS.)
The Colours wargames show run by Newbury & Reading Wargames Society and held at Newbury racecourse every September is one of my favourite shows. Our Oxford Wargames Society participation games have become a regular feature of the event (see previous reports).
For this year's game we chose an American Civil War battle, The Wilderness (1864). There were several factors in this decision. One was the fact that, although I wrote this scenario over 10 years ago, we wanted to playtest it again to check and polish it for the planned BBB American Civil War scenario book(s) that we hope to finish next year. Another was that we could use Dave W's 10mm Pendraken figures, which are better than 6mm for display at shows. A third was that the table is reasonably easy to set up - no hills! And, finally, it's just a rollicking good game because of the battle's geometry: two armies collide at right angles, each marching on two roads, so everyone is in motion and questing for the open flank.
We fought the battle through one and a half times during the show. The first game ended at the halfway mark as it was clear that, through a combination of veteran player skill and good fortune, the South had achieved such a good position and done so much damage that there was no way the Union was coming back. The second game was a much more even contest of ebb and flow, both sides smashing holes in each other in different places, action all over the pitch, and - of course - coming down to the last dice on the last turn to end in a knife-edge draw. Here are seven photos of the action from the first game, just to give you a flavour:
But enough of the toys - it's about the people! And what a lot there were. Apart from the three of us on the team, I think we had at least eight different players join in at various times, while dozens more stopped to chat and have their ears bent by me enthusing. (Apologies to anyone I bored unduly.) Particularly pleased to meet Morten from Denmark, Chris Gosney aka "The Crusty Colonel", and Simon Miller of "To the Strongest" fame. But it was just great to meet everyone, ranging from veteran players and old friends, via those who have the rules already and are introducing their clubmates to BBB, to those who had never seen BBB before.
As always, it was an exciting and rewarding day. I had a great time, I'm sure we entertained our participant players, I had a lot of good conversations, and I hope many show attendees enjoyed the sight of our densely wooded table. (My only regret is I was too busy to make it to the Helion stand and see my new book that was apparently finally published last week.) I'm pretty sure we enhanced Colours and I hope NWRS will invite us back again next year!
===
Driskos (1912)
As if the Wilderness on Saturday wasn't enough, I was in action again the following Monday, this time running a small Balkan Wars battle at the club: Driskos (1912). This was a playtest of a new scenario to be added to a new edition of Dr Konstantinos Travlos's Bloody Big Balkan Battles! book.
This was part of the Greek effort to capture the city of Ioannina in Epirus, after the Greeks and Serbs had both inflicted some major defeats on the Ottomans. The battle picture is that the Greeks have taken some high ground at Driskos that dominates the northeastern approaches to Ioannina. The Ottomans counterattack and, in a two-day battle, drive the Greeks back. The scenario depicts the counterattack.
Phil and Crispin commanded the Ottomans. I was joined on the Greek side by a new comrade, Edward. Our opponents opted to weight their attack on their right, hoping to roll us up from our left. We launched a counterattack, advancing our reserve unit off the heights to hit the Ottoman left flank. It was a bloody fight as modern weapons took a heavy toll of both sides. It looked like a Greek win until right near the end, when the Ottoman artillery blew some of our troops away and Ottoman infantry surged forward, defying our defensive fire, to seize the objectives they needed for victory.
We were able to swap sides, reset and go again. This time we tried a different plan, concentrating against the central Greek salient initially. We got the surge in earlier, sending in three simultaneous charges just before dusk on Day. The odds said we should have succeeded with one or two, but the dice were against us. We reeled back and conceded defeat.
Reflections
Small games: pros and cons. A small game like this has several advantages. We were able to set up quickly and play it twice in an evening. The small manageable forces were ideal for introducing a new player to the game system. The simplicity provides a very distilled tactical challenge that still allows for different plans to be tried. On the 'con' side, with so few units on the table, one or two extreme dice early on that inflict particularly heavy casualties can have disproprortionate ramifications for the rest of the game. But even that 'con' can be a 'pro' in that such variability adds to the replay value.
Simple but subtle: troop quality. Though the forces are small, there is enough variety in their orders of battle to create choices and add interest. The Turks have two regular regiments with modern Mauser rifles, but their third is raw redif reservists with older weapons (and old blue uniforms). On the Greek side, there is only one large regular unit, the rest being a mix of Garibaldini, Cretan volunteers, and other irregulars, but they do have the best troops on the table: the 1-base Evzone unit.
Surprisingly successful! I wasn't sure how well this scenario would work as a game, but actually it was great fun and will need almost no revision. Thanks, Konstantinos!
Great overview of the day there Chris:)! I was certainly out Generalled by Mark, who bottled me up and then defeated me in detail. Still great fun and loads of replay value, which is of course great to see. After my drubbing, it was nice to see the game getting plenty of interest each time I passed by:). Let's hope we can meet again at Shrivenham before Xmas...
ReplyDeleteAn ACW book you say? Well I know what's going on my Xmas list:).
Good reflections on the second game at the club and the pros and cons of a small scenario.
Thanks, Steve. It was great to see you again. Sorry that neither Mark nor the dice showed you any mercy! C'est la guerre. Better luck next time - yes, hopefully Shrivenham.
DeleteSplendid report, Chris! A BBB American Civil War scenario book is fantastic news—definitely one to look out for.
ReplyDeleteThat Wilderness game looks brilliant on the table; 10mm really is the sweet spot for showing mass and manoeuvre through all that dense terrain without losing the grand tactical scale. The Driskos write-up was a great read, too—funny how the smallest scenarios often deliver the most brutal, close-run games!
After reading so many glowing reviews about BBB over the months, I think I'm finally going to give these rules a try for my own Seven Years' War project!
All the best, Andy
Cheers, Andy. If you do try BBB for your gorgeous SYW project, you will need some rule mods to capture 18th-century linear warfare. People have put a few different ones in the BBB io group files, eg Matt Bradley's Marlburian mods could work for you:
Deletehttps://groups.io/g/bloodybigbattles/files/1701-1714%20War%20of%20the%20Spanish%20Succession/Matt%27s%20Malburian%20Modifications
Thanks a lot, Chris! I joined the io group this morning and have now downloaded those files—I'll give them a good read through today! Sounds like just the ticket for getting the right 18th-century linear flavour on the table.
DeleteAll the best, Andy
Excellent, Andy. I look forward to hearing how you get on.
DeleteThanks, Chris! I'll certainly keep you updated. I'm currently buried under a mountain of basing for the Austrians and Prussians, plus a fair bit of scenery painting!
DeleteHoping to have it all completed later this year, so with any luck, I’ll be posting a full report on my blog toward the end of the year on how the rules held up.
All the best, Andy
Grand. I do enjoy your blog.
DeleteGreat stuff Chris, The Wilderness looks fabulous. Although I'm a 6mm fan, I tend to agree on the 10mm for a show game, although tbh the Baccus 6mm figures are so big they are almost 10mm anyway. Looking forward to the BBB ACW scenario book too.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Martin. We actually used Bruce's beautiful 28mm figures for our Isandlwana game at Colours once. But 10mm is more typical.
DeleteTwo excellent games. Your wilderness table looked perfect and the Balkan War game showed the challenge for the Ottomans: advance over that open ground to "... to storm a few villages on the steep hills and take the dominant hilltops..." under deadly fire from modern weapons!
ReplyDeleteBest wishes, James
Cheers, James. The two games could hardly have been more different in terms of the terrain and weaponry. What stayed the same was the fact that simple frontal attack is hard. It required either flank envelopment (in the Wilderness) or substantial artillery support (Driskos) to crack the nut.
DeleteWonderful game! Seeing all this dense terrain... wow!
ReplyDeleteThanks, MM! Actually it was very easy to do the woods: two big bags of scatter lichen, about £30 I think. Very quick to set out and even quicker to pack away.
Delete