Thursday, 6 August 2026

Waterloo at UK Defence Academy Shrivenham

I had the privilege of being invited to play in a Waterloo BBB game at Shrivenham. I was going to write a full report but one of my fellow players, Steve J, has beaten me to it. Rather than replicate what he's done, let me point you to his lovely full photo-AAR here. Likewise Stu on his Cirencester Wargames blog here.

Apart from echoing his thanks to our hosts, comrades and opponents for their good company and an excellent day, I'd just add one photo and one Reflection of my own:

Replayability. I suppose I've fought Waterloo five or six times now. Each one has played out differently to some degree. This time was radically different again, the French following a plan I'd not seen before and producing a shape to the battle that I'd not seen before. That plus the fact of it coming down to the last objective changing hands with the last dice on the last turn made it a seriously good game.

Penultimate turn. Lambert's 6th Division holds Mont St Jean (the village with the red star Objective marker), supported by Uxbridge's cavalry (foreground). In front of them, the Union brigade valiantly keeps two French divisions at bay long enough to prevent them joining the fight at Mont St Jean. Upper right, though, problems: the Old Guard surging down the ridge is about to smash through the remnants of Alten's division, force Wellington himself to decamp briefly, then storm onward to eject Lambert. Lambert will need the aid of Bylandt's Dutch/Belgians, arriving from the left (out of shot), to charge back in and expel the grognards to earn a draw.

6mm figures from Dave F's fine collection.



15 comments:

  1. I'd echo the whole replayability bit too Chris, even if the French went with the same plan, due to the unknown arrival times or not of Grouchy and Blucher, or both. A brilliant game and looking forward to seeing you at Colours, all being well:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the variable reinforcements added just enough fog of war. We will be doing ACW at Colours: The Wilderness. See you there!

      Delete
  2. Hi Chris,

    Splendid write-up! I was just reading Steve’s report of the game over on his blog—what an absolute nail-biter of a finish! It’s fascinating to hear how radically different the French plan made this refight feel. Bloody Big Battles clearly delivers fantastic replayability for these grand encounters.

    All the best, Andy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And replayability of the game system every week or two for the last 15 years - it doesn't get stale, it stays fresh, partly because the tense nail-biting finish is normal, partly because we play different battles from different wars that therefore have different flavour, but without having to wrestle with new rules every month.

      Delete
    2. Hi Chris,

      Fifteen years is a proper testament to the design! I have to admit I’ve never actually played Bloody Big Battles myself, but seeing how consistently it generates those down-to-the-wire finishes—and lets you leap between different eras without wrestling with new rulebooks—makes a very compelling case for giving it a go!

      All the best, Andy

      Delete
    3. You'd be welcome any Monday evening in Oxford, Andy! https://oxfordwargamessociety.org.uk/dates.html

      Delete
    4. Hi Chris,

      That’s a remarkably kind offer, thank you! Oxford is a bit too much of a trek from up here in Grimsby, mind you—I’m not well enough to drive at the moment, and I certainly couldn't ask my wife to undertake a round trip like that! I truly appreciate the invite, though, and I'll definitely keep following your battle reports with great interest.

      All the best, Andy

      Delete
    5. Oxford has some reputation as a tourist destination, as well, so maybe your wife might like to make a long weekend of it? You wouldn't be the first such wargaming tourist to visit OWS. Meanwhile, I hope your health improves. Best wishes, Chris

      Delete
    6. Hi Chris,

      That’s a very clever suggestion—Oxford is certainly a marvellous city for a break! I’ll definitely pitch the idea of a weekend away to my wife when I'm feeling better and see if we can orchestrate a trip down south. Thank you again for the kind wishes regarding my health and for such a warm welcome—it's very much appreciated!

      All the best, Andy

      Delete
  3. "Oxford has some reputation as a tourist destination" I'll testify to that. Sometimes my wife and I thought we were on Harry Potter sets. Actually, I think we were.

    And the gaming on Monday nights is great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was a fabulous game, venue and re-fight Chris with Steve's and Stu's reports doing it full justice. It was extremely pleasing and impressive that the scale allows for the entire battlefield to be represented so as to really bring the flanks and the full arrival of the Prussians into play, rather than the more limited area of the historic action such as we had for our bicentennial version. Sensational!
    Best wishes, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, James. Each size of game gives different experiences and provides different insights. For me, fighting a whole big battle is hard to beat.

      Delete
  5. Having played Waterloo multiple times in the last year and a half, it's still an interesting battle because of the decisions you can make and the variability of the arrival of the Prussians. It sounds like you all had fun. Look at the Colin the Wargamer blog, Waterloo tab for our play through s. Cheers Colin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha, yes, thanks, Colin. Let me add a link to your blog here: https://colinthewargamer.blogspot.com/

      Delete

Comments welcome!